Wednesday 20 May 2015

Lemon Drizzle fo' Shizzle


The last slice of Tangy Lemon Cake

I’ve gone baking mad the last two weeks, It might be because I’m finally free from college and I can actually do things I want without the guilt... although I did bake when I still had one exam to go, so maybe it was exam escape!! Ha Ha

So usually I like to try new things and experiment, but the last two cakes I’ve baked were just easy, quick and tasty!! 
The basic cakes... the first I made and with a little video was a lemon drizzle cake for my mam's birthday! 
Easy and delish and one of my favourites to do.

The recipes was taken from one of my favourite and reliable sites, Odlums.ie

The Ingredients I used for a 8/9inch tin are:
  • Ø  225g/8oz Odlums Self Raising Flour
  • Ø  225g/8oz Butter (at room temperature)
  • Ø  225g/8oz Caster Sugar
  • Ø  4 Eggs (beaten)
  • Ø  Finely grated Rind of 1 Lemon


Drizzle for Topping
  • Ø  Juice of 1 Lemon
  • Ø  75g/3oz Caster Sugar









Oven at 180C you can watch my little video for the method J




But just in case you want to see it written down

Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas 4.
Grease and base line a 8″/20cms deep cake tin or spring form tin. (I used a 9inch silicone tin, and used some oil to coat the bottom to be safe!)
Beat together the butter and sugar until pale and creamy, then gradually add the eggs, slowly mixing through.
Add the flour and the lemon rind. Mix well to combine. – I always use a spatula at this point!!
Pour the lemony goodness into the tin and level the top
Bake for 45 – 50 minutes approx. until well risen and golden brown. Cake is baked if top is gently pressed and it springs back!

For the Drizzle-
Mix together the lemon juice and the sugar.
Prick top of warm cake with skewer or uncooked spaghetti (smaller holes), then, with a table spoon pour over the drizzle – the juice will sink into cake and the sugar will form a lovely crisp topping. (yum)
Before

After

Glaze Ingredients


The result of the cake was it was savaged by my family within 24hours! It was moist and tangy and so so lemony... the syrup really does add to the spongey-ness of the cake

Marks outta ten... 8/10! I dropped one mark because it’s not chocolate, and another because there are too many cakes out there!!

If you enjoyed this recipe and the pictures maybe you might like to check out my post when I made a fab banana bread with chocolate chips! :) click here 



No comments:

Post a Comment