Tuesday 28 April 2015

Jennuinely Interested in Irish Voting


Something a bit different and just my ramblings, pinch of salt and lemon in hand..

I try not to get too involved in the major debates of the world as I find it hard to discuss issues with people who have different opinions then me... a quirk I suppose. 
But in Ireland on May 22nd, we are having an equal rights referendum, about gay marriage, and although I have no difficulty in deciding how to vote.  I can’t help feeling such mixed emotions about the whole situation. 




Our country seems to be so warped about voting, and what’s really important, equality and other issues too. 
That is a bit of a strong statement but hear me out.
     
     Recently our country has gone through a hard time during this recession, many have lost their jobs, are attached to homes that are worth not nearly what they paid for them, and probably will never get the money back when they sell. It is devastating to know that families that were once well off, and encouraged by banks to Spend! Spend! Spend! are now living week to week, or month to month because their house mortgage and car loans are so excessive. And yet a lot of these people are not out voting for a new government. 
We all complain, me too although I don’t feel too effected by all the changes right now that the country is going through.
    Although every day I do feel that there is such a divide between the classes of people, I use that term VERY lightly. We seems to all experience very different lives although we are all suffering in similar ways. I find it hard at times to digest the fact that I can’t afford to go to the doctors yet others have a medical card and can go for free. Now in saying this I am talking about the government and equality, and not about the person. 
  Why is it that people who are working hard in all ranges of jobs are paying taxes and are not directly benefiting from it. There are people who only work 20hrs so they can actually be part of their children’s lives, or child care is just too expensive and they don’t receive support of a medical card. I hate that I have to pay upwards of 60e to go to the dentist and I know my teeth need to be seen to. 
  And yet I’m not working right now as I’m trying to focus on getting my degree so I can earn the big bucks, which in turn will be taxed!

I think the Irish person in general just wants to see where there money is really going... and by that I mean that their money is being returned to them in some tangible way. No one minds helping their neighbour, but what about “me” too!

Now how is this related to May 22nd?! A very important day for Ireland, and to be honest for the generations to come. I think no matter what the outcome is, this generation we will still have to listen to the superficial, scraping the barrel reasons the “NO Vote” people are spouting... But alas, they are by right allowed to canvas their side too!

But what I find amazing is the sheer passion of the younger people of this country, the fire that is being created, and also my fear that it will be short lived, I hope that these young strong opinionated men and women do vote, and that it will strike a chord in them to stand up and vote again for other important decisions our country has to make!  

We allow others to vote, mostly the older generations, and so they have every right to have their say whether it is for or against what is best for the modern equal Ireland, they vote and so there opinion is technically more valid then ours, as it actually means something. 
When the over 65’s were going to lose their medical cards... they marched and let the government know it wasn’t going to happen, and their voices were heard.

 It is the young people’s turn now! 




image: http://www.marriagequality.ie/getinformed/about-children.html

No comments:

Post a Comment