Wednesday 15 April 2015

Keep'em Clean ... Make-up brushes that is!


So a story came to light recently about a woman in Australia who became paralyzed as a result of bacteria on her friend’s make-up brush that she had borrowed.
 Instant disbelief!! 
Bacteria is everywhere, and the thought of slathering make up and a side order of staphylococcus made me shudder, and so I decided there and then to be far more vigilant with keeping my brushes clean!
 I should anyway to prevent break outs!! 

I have used a handful of products to clean my brushes over the years, (usually shampoos or body washes) I do love the MAC Brush Cleanser, but I feel like, although effective, it’s almost better as a type of disinfectant then actually deep cleaning the brush itself. I’ve taken to rinsing my brushes in it after I’ve deep cleaned them separately.

Today I've used Johnston Baby Shampoo as a brush cleanser, it worked very effectively and is “kind” to the brush bristles, I got a big bottle of it in Boots Pharmacy and it was on offer, if the Boots version is cheaper I will pick that up next time as it’s just the same.
 Nothing more satisfying then a good bargain and clean brushes!

The Process 

So I have my shampoo in one hand and another little device in the other, its actually meant for removing make-up and exfoliating our face, but I’ve decided, after seeing other similar tools on the market, that I want to use it for cleaning my brushes!

You can see it in the picture below, it’s a cute little rubber tear drop with tiny bristles all over it!
I purchased it from Penneys/Primark for a Euro!



And does it work…  Yes…but not for all brushes!  

Everyone knows how to wash a brush, so let’s get to the actual RESULT, it worked amazingly for the eye shadow brushes, I was actually able to wash two or three at a time.. speed queen! (Haha)

The flat foundation brush did well too, the little bristles lathered the shampoo up lovely and I think that does help in the process.
 But the tightly packed Real Technique brush didn’t get the same result, I gave it three rounds of washing, and after I let it dry it still has foundation caked in the centre, disappointing!

 I can conclude then that firmer bristled brushes do far better with the tool, otherwise just the shampoo and brute force is needed! It really was a much faster process then just shampoo and massaging it into the brush. I will use it again!
The Real Techniques brush was just too tightly packed for the tiny bristles to penetrate.

-On a little side note, when I’m terrible lazy or need to quickly give my brushes a clean, I use a toner with tea tree in it as it’s a disinfectant, and also lifts the colour from the brush, I don’t know about the exact science of oxidation, but I’m sure it happens to my foundation brush while its lying around and I find my make-up darker when I apply it the next day using the dirty brush, I feel ill writing that sentence!



Just a better look at the cute scrubber! :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment